Thursday, September 22, 2011

~Cooking with Dead Foliage~

Well, the calendar says tomorrow is the beginning of AUTUMN! Yea,after a Summer of Triple Digit Heat here in North Texas,I'm waiting on ice,sleet & snow. Sept.29/09 the Farm looked "Picture Perfect".The Cowpen Daisies covered the pastures_really a Zen Moment! Fast Forward to the updated
view:

Yes,that's an old "hugh"Oak Tree dead in the Courtyard by the Barn.The grass is a crispy golden brown color,the Morning Glory flowers ails on the obelisk_the more I look at it seems like a scene right out of "Death Valley Days". Truely,a different picture from the views I saw when we lived in New Hampshire. I call this "August Dead Summer Foliage Days"..no place else BUT Texas.

What I had hoped for was a repeat of these glorious Fall flowers all over the farm


But nooooo! I can dream,maybe I'll get a small showing later this Fall. Anyway,I'm looking forward to my cat "HANK THE COWCAT AARON" removing his "person" from his "favorite" cool Summer spot :

Our Old  1900's Montag Cookstove.I was really excited when we moved to the Farm several years ago to find this treasure. Got this great book to help educate me on the  Fine Art of Woodstove Cookery cld. "Woodstove Cookery At Home On The Range" by Jane Cooper. If you are new at using a woodburning stove (which most of us would be today) this is the book! Everything from parts of the stove,getting the fire going(which scares the beegeebers outta me), to cooking a great soup! Speaking of which ,can't wait to drag out one of my favorite Cookbooks _"Pumpkin"by Dee Dee Stovel. My mouth is watering from thinking about the recipe for "Italian Pumpkin Soup w/ Crushed Amaretti Cookies"...to die for! The Kitchen smells awesome,Hank's NOT on the stove,the bowls are "on standby" for refills_and a nice bottle of Candoni Pinot awaits me..I'm a happy Texas TeaQueen!

No comments: