Thursday, April 4, 2013

~Reflections:The Garden of My Mind~


There comes a time in the daily occupational habit of Tex ting this or Twitter that, Comment on this, Like that, Smart phone this, Email that, Social Network this, Newsgroup or Video transmit that, MySpace, Blogger, Cyber Chat, Virtual World....etc. that one has to  say ....STOP! Let me off this Merry-Go-Round! That is exactly what I did...rested my brain! But, we are all creatures of Habit_ so I'm back...with a renewed attitude!
While in downtime_ BTW, "Try  It, You might Like it"_ I reconnected to a book that developed my roots on thoughts in the "Garden of my Mind" in the 70s.

In 1902,James Allen a British Philosopher,Inspirational/Self-Help Guru became the Pioneer for the Self-help movement by publishing his most known work_"As A Man Thinketh".Loosely based on the biblical proverb,"As a man thinketh in his heart,so is he."This book eventually became read all around the world,which positioned Allen posthumously as one of the pioneering figures of modern inspirational thought. When he died in 1912 his wife wrote this about him:

"He never wrote theories, or for the sake of writing; but he wrote when he had a message, and it became a message only when he had lived it out in his own life, and knew that it was good. Thus he wrote facts, which he had proven by practice."
                                                                   James Allen

Here's the 1982 "Political Correct" edition for Women_of which it's time for me to replace the one I've carried in my purse for some 15 years at least.I use to buy copies and just randomly give them to Kindred Spirits along the journey of Life.

Today, with the Media Culture we live in everyone seems to be "Connected" in some form or fashion. We've all become "EXPERTS" on various subject matters, people sit behind their computer screens spewing Hatred, Disrespect, Fashion Police on every corner,My Way or The Highway Egoist,Opinions rage like the eye of a storm on this or that, typing nastiness, even as you read this Post. AND_ without fear of EVER running into the person they just DISSED...Okay! Mmmm that would be  a very different dialogue if they could be one on one, yes...I think people would NOT be so prone to go there face to face! I needed to put my  "Thinking Cap"on_so,I put myself in "Time-Out" removed myself from all the negativity to get back in touch with my Inner-Self!


I was reminded of  Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche's book_"Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for All and None". My desire was to travel back to my roots on thoughts and circumstances, re-discover my Pedagogy (the science & art of Education) without all these media-hype/tools.I wanted to quieten  my Mind_The Garden of My Mind. So,I read "As A Man Thinketh" for the 1,100th time! The chapter on "Effect of Thought on Circumstances",here's a wee bit...

"Just as a gardener cultivates his plot, keeping it free from weeds, and growing the flowers and fruits which he requires so may a man tend the garden of his mind, weeding out all the wrong, useless and impure thoughts, and cultivating toward perfection the flowers and fruits of right, useful and pure thoughts. By pursuing this process, a man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life".

"If no useful seeds are put into it, then an abundance of useless weed-seeds will fall therein, and will continue to produce their kind."

With that being said, I'm good now! All this media stuff,especially the nasty ones seen on comments via Yahoo news,Facebook,etc..was getting to me.The power of a "Mental-break "was good.I re-learned that I can and will choose my reactions /thoughts to all this "Comment-itis" around the Internet_thus becoming "The GateKeeper of my Mind"...again!!!!Valuable Lesson,Capital idea....INDEED! 



  "Master Gardener of my Soul,
                 Director of my Life &
                                  Gatekeeper of my Mind"!!!

                                             
                                        
                          "Peace be Still"

 

No comments: